Connecting Psion to local ISP.
Here are the settings for connecting a Psion 5 (classic) to Internet Whitsunday (my local ISP), using Message Suite 1.52. Settings should be relatively similar for other Epoc palmtops. You must download and install Message Suite for Psion 5 before starting (not required for any later model Psion).
- Start the Psion System screen (leftmost orange touch switch).
- If System does not appear in the right hand top of the display, press the Ctrl T shortcut, and it will appear and you can press Control Panel. Or simply use the Ctrl S shortcut to the Control Panel
- With Control Panel open, Select Modem, and Settings for Modem will open. If your modem appears, select it.
- For an Ericsson SH888 data adaptor equipped GSM mobile phone, in the Modem tab, set the speed to 115,000, connect via Infrared, and fax class Auto. Under Options tab, set loudspeaker in Use Until call answered, volume quiet, and pause time for , 4 seconds. Under Initialisations tab, set the Init string to ATZ and leave the rest blank. Under handshaking, set it to software XON/XOFF. Untick Terminal detect and Carrier detect.
- If you intehnd to send faxes, you will also need an additional modem setting for SH888fax. The changes are the Speed is 9600 (not 115,000), and set the Fax Class to 2. In the Options, set Loudspeaker to Never. In Initialisation, for Init use AT&F. In Fax Init use at&c1&d2s25=50s0=2. In Handshaking tab, Flow control, None.
- If you are using a Hayes Compatible modem, and a serial cable, remember that you MUST add a null modem adaptor to the PsiWin serial cable. Your Hayes compatible modem will be similar to the SH888, but the Connect via is Serial. Under the Handshaking tab, for Flow control use Hardware (RTS/CTS), and tick Terminal detect (DSR/DTR). Do not tick Carrier Detect (the Psion null modem adaptor does not connect that line)
- With Control Panel open, Select Internet, and Internet Service Settings will open.
- Select New, and the Create new internet service box will open. At Based upon, select Standard Settings, then select OK.
- In the Service tab, make the Name Whitsunday (substitute your ISP name here), the connection type Dial Up. Uncheck the Use Smart Dialling box, and make the Standard dial-up number 49488900 (substitute your ISP dial-up number here).
- In the Account tab, turn Manual login off, add your Username, and put your password in the Password and Confirm Password boxes.
- In the Addresses tab, tick Get IP address from server, and tick Get DNS address from server.
- In the Login tab, tick Use Login Script. Make the port settings 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit. In the Display Window, modify the Generic script for logins by removing the line that mentions PPP. Do not change anything else.
- In the Advanced tab, make sure Enable PPP extensions is not clicked. Tick Allow plain text authentication.
In the actual Email application, press the Menu button, then select Tools, Settings, Email. In Outgoing, insert your name, email address, and the Email (SMTP) server is whitsunday.net.au
In Incoming the POP3 server is yourmail.com.au and the mailbox login is your true Mailbox login name. Add your password and confirm it.