Connecting via cellular phone to Telstra BigPond mobile.
Here are the settings for connecting a Psion 5 (classic) ER3 system to Telstra BigPond Mobile, using Message Suite 1.52. Settings are relatively similar for other Epoc palmtops using ER5. You must install download and install Message Suite 1.52 for Psion 5 (ER3) before starting (not required for current model Psions with ER5).
- Start the Psion System screen (leftmost orange touch switch).
- If System does not appear in the right hand top of the display, press the Ctrl T shortcut, and it will appear and you can press Control Panel. Or simply use the Ctrl S shortcut to the Control Panel
- With Control Panel open, Select Modem, and Settings for Modem will open. If your modem appears, select it.
- For an Ericsson SH888 data adaptor equipped GSM mobile phone, in the Modem tab, set the speed to 115,000, connect via Infrared, and fax class Auto. Under Options tab, set loudspeaker in use Until call answered, volukme quiet, and pause time for , 4 seconds. Under Initialisations tab, set the Init string to ATZ and leave the rest blank. Under handshaking, set it to software XON/XOFF. Untick Terminal detect and Carrier detect.
- You will also need an additional modem setting for SH888fax, if you intend to send faxes. The changes are the Speed is 9600 (not 115,000), and set the Fax Class to 2. In the Opions, set Loudspeaker to Never. In Initialisation, for Init use AT&F. In Fax Init use at&c1&d2s25=50s0=2. In Handshaking tab, Flow control, None.
- If you are using a Hayes Compatible modem, and a serial cable, remember that you MUST add a null modem adaptor to the PsiWin serial cable. Your Hayes compatible modem will be similar to the SH888, but the Connect via is Serial. Under the Handshaking tab, for Flow control use Hardware (RTS/CTS), and tick Terminal detect (DSR/DTR). Do not tick Carrier Detect (the Psion null modem adaptor does not connect that line)
- With Control Panel open, Select Internet, and Internet Service Settings will open.
- Select New, and the Create new internet service box will open. At based upon select Standard Settings, then select OK.
- In the Service tab, make the Name BigPond, the connection type Dial Up. Uncheck the Use Smart Dialling box, and make the Standard dial-up number 0418707638.
- In the Account tab, turn Manual login off, add your Username (this is your mobile phone number), and put your password in the Password and Confirm Password boxes.
- In the Addresses tab, tick Get IP address from server, and untick Get DNS address from server. The Primary DNS address is 184.108.40.206 The Secondary DNS address is 220.127.116.11
- In the Login tab, untick Use Login Script. Leave the port settings blank.
- In the Advanced tab, make sure Enable PPP extensions is not clicked. Tick Allow plain text authentication.
In the actual Email application, press the Menu button, then select Tools, Settings, Email. In Outgoing, insert your name, email address (which is your phone number), and the Email (SMTP) server is mailhost.mobilenet.telstra.net
In Incoming the POP3 server is yourmail.com.au and the mailbox login is your true Mailbox login name. These is no need to use the BigPond mailbox unless you want to. Add your password and confirm it.
I discovered the hard way that with an ER5 system (a Psion Series 7), in the email application you must set one of your email accounts as the default account. If you fail, SMTP may not work correctly. Thanks to www.mikemcc.net/ Mike McConnell for pointing out the need for this.
Another possible problem, pointed out by Tom Horvei, is that in the Email, Account, Advanced, Outgoing, you have access to the SMTP port number (default is 25) and it is possible to accidently change this to a non-standard port.