Airlie Beach Schools
Schools, kindergartens and child minding near Airlie Beach
No known schools, kindergartens, or educational facilities for children in the very limited area of Airlie Beach at all. Closest are at Cannonvale, the light industrial, shopping and residential area 3 to 8 km from Airlie. More major school facilities including a state high school at the older sugar and cattle town of Proserpine, 26 km inland on the Bruce Highway.
There were around 2400 school students in the shire (2002)
- Cannonvale Pre-school
- See below.
- Cannonvale Primary School
- 54 Coral Esplanade, Cannonvale Phone +61 749 462 333
Established at this site in 1969. Almost 600 students, years P-7. 21
class teachers, plus specialist teachers and support staff. School
newsletters in PDF on site.
- Hamilton Island State School
- Years 1-7. Around 50 students.
- Hayman Island State School
- Years 1-7. Opened in 1952, moved to present site in 1989. One
classroom, between 6 and 8 students in years 1-7 in a multiage class.
Hayman Island is a privately owned resort, with a population of around
- Proserpine Pre-school
- See below.
- Proserpine State School
- Sterry Street, Proserpine. Phone (07) 4945 3000. About 800 students,
years P-7 (Proserpine town area population is about 4500). 27 class
teachers, plus specialist teachers and support staff. Many students
travel considerable distances in the 12 school buses.
- Proserpine State High School
- Ruge Street, Proserpine. Around 900 students, years 8-12. In October 2006 opened a multipurpose hall large enough for the entire student body. A May-June 2005 Asbestos survey of 37 schools lists Proserpine High School as one of more than half which showed positive for asbestos. No comment from Education Queensland. Reported in Whitsunday Times, 4 August 2005, p3.
- St Catherine's Pre-school
- See below.
- St Catherine's Catholic Primary School
- Proserpine. Around 120 students, years P-7. Proposal for a Catholic High School with meetings attended by 70 parents in 2005.
- Whitsunday Anglican School
- K to Year 12 teaching. Boarding facility Booth House, up to 65 students from Year 5 to 12. Students arrive Sunday, go home Friday afternoon.
- Whitsunday Christian College
- Paluma Road, Cannonvale, opposite Centro Shopping Centre. Non-denominational co-educational. Now from pre-school to Year 11. Core subjects in areas English, mathematics, society, environment and culture, technology, arts and physical education. Computer lab, intranet, and computers used in classrooms where appropriate.
try reception at whitsunday-cc.qld.edu.au
Child Care and Child Minding
In June 2005 there were reports of a shortage of staff, high staff turnover, slow Blue card accreditation for staff and volunteers, long waiting lists.
- Bizy Kidz Whitsunday
- Whitsunday Shopping Centre, Shute Harbour Road, Cannonvale ph 4946 7002
2-12 years, 10 hours a day Monday to Friday.
- Cannonvale Child Care Centre
- 115 (or 155) Shute Harbour Road, Cannonvale ph 4946 5645
0-12 years, 6:30 a.m.- 6 p.m. Monday to Friday
- 121 Child Care
- 121 Shute Harbour Road, Cannonvale ph 4948 0121. Privately owned. Opened in 2008. Babies 6 weeks to children 6 years. Pre-prep and kindergarten programs. 121 Child Care.
- Scallywags Limited Hours Child Care
- Lot 2 Hazelwood Court, Cannonvale ph 4946 5609 Non-profit, community based, Blue card volunteers. In June 2005 director Kerry Isaac said the centre had 50 children on the waiting list for children under 2. Blue card delays blamed.
- Whitsunday Child Care Centre
- 16 Tropic Street, Cannonvale ph 4946 5616
6:30 a.m.- 6 p.m. Monday to Friday, also Saturday to 5:30 p.m. In June 2008, Greg Cook wrote
I am the owner of the Whitsunday Childcare Centre and I was looking at your website and would like to update the information about the Centre. The Director is now Danielle Duval. We have vacancies in all age groups. Their flyer mentions air conditioned, before and after school care, computers available for Pre Prep children. Website is Whitsunday Childcare centre Our Email address is whitsundayccc at westnet.com.au
- Whitsunday Kindergarten Association Inc.
- 9 Schnapper Street, Cannonvale ph 4946 7358
- Whitsunday Shire Family Day Care Association Inc.
- 18B Chapman Street, Proserpine ph 4945 2422
- Whitsunday Vacation Care
- 9 Coral Esplanade (opp school), Cannonvale ph 4946 5609
8 a.m. - 6 p.m. Monday to Friday. School holiday program for
primary school children.
Vocational Education and Training
- Barrier Reef Institute of Technical and Further Education, Shute
Harbour Road, Cannonvale. Specialising in hospitality industry, chef,
restaurant and tourism.
- Whitsunday College of English
- Seems to have been founded around October 2002. Three teachers and
an administration officer.
Please note that I do not have any connection to any of these facilities, and coverage is limited to the contents of public notices. I provide this material as a public service. I am not in a position to supply any further details of educational facilities.
I hope you have enjoyed www.ericlindsay.com.