Boats in Airlie Beach
Boats, day sailing trips, three day diving boat trips, snorkelling and
SCUBA bare boat charters from Airlie Beach, Abel Point Marina and Shute
Harbour. Travel by boat.
Airlie Beach is the main accommodation area, however it is too shallow
for most boats. Abel Point Marina road turnoff is a few kilometres
before reaching Airlie Beach, or 10 minute walk back along the shore,
past the Coral Sea resort. Shute Harbour, about 10 kilometres past
Airlie Beach, has a deeper water jetty, however being in the middle
of the Conway National Park, there is only one motel nearby. Most
boat cruises have courtesy coaches available from accommodation areas,
and there are also regular buses and taxis.
Apart from float plane and helicopter flights (fast, wonderful view,
but expensive), there are about seven types of boat trips.
The majority of boats do three day and two or three nights (onboard)
sailing and motor trips, which take you to the Barrier Reef for diving
and snorkelling. These cost between $250 and about $500 (and if a trip
is cheap, there may be extra costs or items not provided). If you are
serious about SCUBA, you will want a boat with compressors on board.
Divers generally pay more than those only snorkelling, due to tank
hire and air costs. If you prefer sailing, look for a trip that
emphasises sailing rather than diving.
There are a very few one day reef trips, and these require a high
speed boat and are generally over $100. There are some platforms
at some of the reefs.
There are relaxing one day sailing trips to coastal islands, for
sailing, snorkelling, beach fun and bushwalking.
There are motor boat day trips similar to the above, but with a
greater range of destinations due to the higher speed. Day trips tend
to cost between about $100 and up, but check whether lunch and reef tax is included.
There are several day fishing trips, on boats that specialise in
fishing. I don't know enough about fishing to comment.
There are resort island ferries and resort island day trips. Some of
the multi island day trips give you a good chance to check out several
resort islands in one day, often including a meal
at one of the island resorts.
There are charter boats, for those groups able to do their own
sailing or skippering. Some can also be hired with crew. Prices are
variable depending on size and type of boat.
See also my Airlie Beach Bum boats sink page.
Boats, Cruises, Charters, Flights
I don't have the facilities to keep up with the changes to boat schedules, so this should be thought of as a general guide only. Check with the operators for details, times and costs.
- ABS Watersports and Ski
- Cannonvale (western) end of Airlie Beach, on the beach. Hires out a
wide variety of ski, Hobbie cat, jet ski and sea kayak equipment.
- Air Whitsunday
- Tours and flights to the reef on seaplane, boat and island pick-ups,
Whitehaven beach picnics, various Hayman Island daytrips and scenic flights, Whitsunday Airport.
- Ambition Whitsunday
- 12 metre Adams sloop departs Abel Point Tuesday and Friday on
3 day 2 night cruises. Owned by John and Herma Durieux, who took over from
Allan and Monica Robinson in 2000. Snorkel, visit Whitsunday Beach,
bushwalk. Two private cabins, plus shared for 12 passengers. Sailaway
- Another Ambition
- Abel Point Marina Mon and Thurs, 3 days, 2 nights,
- Anaconda II
- (Abel Point)?
- Anaconda III
- Abel Point 100 foot, air conditioned, en-suite, snorkel, SCUBA, dive
compressor on board, 30.8m, 13 cabins. Operated by owners now?
- Shute Harbour Monday and Friday, sailing, snorkelling, beach stops, 2 nights 3 days. 23 guests and 4 crew. 80 foot maxi yacht.
- Athena of Adelaide
- 3 day cruises leaving 9:30 a.m. Sat and Thursday from
Abel Point. Snorkelling, sailing instruction, 2 berth cabins, Duncanson
Web site www.rentayacht.com.au
- A large, fast, new racing trimaran, looks very sleek. Does three
day cruises (two nights on board) around the Whitsunday Islands, with
breaks for swimming and snorkel diving (SCUBA also if booked ahead).
Departs from Airlie Beach Wednesday and Saturday.
Run by OzSail.
- Australian Bareboat Charters
- 2 to 12 berth yacht and motor. Shute Harbour Jetty, PO Box 357,
Web site www.rentayacht.com.au
- Balek III
- Motor game fishing
- Banana Winds
- Two hour champagne and sunset cruise, with a cheese and fruit platter,
while you view the nightscape of Airlie Beach. Seven nights a week. In
Wintertime leaves Abel Point Marina at 4:15 p.m. and returns at 6:45
p.m. (also picks up at Coral Sea Resort Jetty). Times are an hour later
in Summer. Cost about $35 per person. Also available five days a week, a
half day sail, departing Abel Point Marina at 9 a.m. for $49, returning
at 12:45 p.m. (also picks up at Coral Sea Resort Jetty). Phone
- Sixty foot ketch visiting the islands and Bait reef on a three day
three night diving trip at a budget price. Details unknown.
- Blue Ferries
- Australian owned FantaSea motor cruises travel between Shute
Harbour, and resort islands Hamilton Island and South Molle Island in
large, comfortable ferries.
Various island cruises depart Shute
Harbour each day, or see the
Blue Ferries web site
for a timetable.
- Fast Maxi yacht, probably a party boat. $130,000 refit in mid 2005.
3 days 2 nights. Sailing, snorkelling, hire. 28 guests, 4 crew.
- British Defender
- Large fast Maxi, probably a party boat.
3 days 2 nights. Sailing, snorkelling, hire. 20 guests, 3 crew.
- Shute Harbour. South African built 81 foot ocean racer built in 1992, and second in the 1993 Cape Town to Rio de Janeiro race. Arrived April 2001. 2 day 2 night. 23 metre maxi yacht
for 19 guests and 5 crew. Departs Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. BYO.
- Bush Adventures
- Whitsunday quad bike bush adventures. Two hour bush tour on an
quad bike, followed by ploughman's lunch. Transfers to accommodation.
Great view point, rainforest.
- Designed in Townsville for Whitsunday chartering, and launched in
July 2000, this is the first of the 42 foot class. Ten passenger
- Charter Yachts Australia
- Bareboat or crewed, 30-47 foot yatch or motor. New owners (May 2000) John Mol and Annie Judd.
- Come By Chance
- Three day two night sailing trip departs Wednesday and Sunday.
- Compass Rose
- One day three island cruise on 33 foot vessel with space for 19
passengers. Leaves Abel Point marina 8:30 a.m. returns around 3:30 p.m.
islands visited will vary according to weather and whim of skipper.
North run may be Armidt, Olden, Grassy and Saddleback, south run
may be South and North Molle, and Hook Island. Lunch included.
- 80 foot maxi yacht, winner of many races including Sydney Hobart.
26 guests and 4 crew, departs Tuesday and Saturday. Sailing adventure, swimming, beach stops.
- Coral Adventure
- Departs Abel Point 7:30 p.m. Wed and Sat for three days and three
nights. 12 overnight passengers. Steel, ketch rigged twin screw motor
sailer. Sailing, snorkelling, dive.
- Coral Sea Overnight Boat Hire
- Bareboat, up to 8 persons, around A$500 first day plus reef tax and
provisions, $300 for each additional day.
- Cruise Whitsunday
- Able Point Marina to a new pontoon on Knuckle Reef, 100 km off the coast, on Seaflight. Large fast ferry style.
- Cumberland Charter Yachts
- Bareboat yachts, catermaran or motor, for charter, from Abel Point.
Check out their excellent web page
- Derwent Hunter
- Sail on 90 foot tallship topsail schooner built in 1945, sailing
training, snorkelling, owners Warren Ladd and Jo White. Departs 9 a.m.
Wed and Sat. Five cabins, all double with one or more single bunks also.
16 passengers. Tall Ship Adventures.
- Dolphin Spirit
- Private charter yacht, owner operated, speaks French, up to six
adults, two days and one night, freecall 1800 819 366, fax (07) 4946
- Aussie Yachting's owner skipper Reg Eggers and wife Julie takes out
a maximum of 8 passengers on a N.Z. John Lidgard Ocean/Racer cruiser
S.V. Domino on a day trip to Hook island. Take the helm, or just relax,
or swim and snorkel. Ecotourism a specialty, also charters. Reg speaks
Dutch, German, French, Malay and English. Departs Abel Point 9 a.m.,
returns around 5 p.m.
- Emma Peel II
- 62 foot schooner, 3 days 2 nights, departing Abel Point 9 a.m. Wed
and Sat. Sailing, snorkelling.
- 72 foot cruiser racer
- Fantasea Cruises
- Daily fast motor catamaran cruises to Reefworld (two separate pontoons) on Hardy Reef.
Around $150. Snorkelling, underwater viewing chamber, semi-submersible,
coach transfers to Shute Harbour. Also one day island cruises,
including South Molle, and Hamilton Island. Helicopter joy flights
- Flying Dutchman diving
- Owned by Danny and Anne Barker. No details of cruises. Relocated to
Town of 1770 in early 2000, but back in Airlie from time to time.
- 60 foot sailing sloop, 3 days and 2 nights, departs Abel Point
9:30 a.m Wed and Sat. 16 passengers. Sail and
- Freight Train
- Over 15 metre aluminium hull charter yacht built in Western
Australia in 1983. Has a 12 passenger charter limit. Frers designed for
International Offshore Rule (IOR) racing. Won the first Sydney to
Whitsunday race. Departs Sunday and Thursday for 3 day 2 night cruises
- Catamaran formerly named Trinity has moved to Daydream Island and
been renamed. Will be operating sunset cruises.
- Great Eagle
- 3 day two night sail, departing Abel Point 9:30 a.m. Mon and Fri.
50 foot sailing yacht, 12 passengers, owner operators.
- Departs Abel Point 9:30 a.m. Wed and Sat. 3 days, 2 nights. 70 foot
(21.5m) owner (Robert Kissajukian) built and operated steel yacht.
- Hammer of Queensland
- Departs Shte Harbour 1 p.m. 3 days a week. 2 days, 2 nights. 75 foot,
Sydney to Hobart racing yacht, sail and snorkel. Refit in 1997.
- Harbourside Boat Hire
- Shute Harbour Jetty. May have half cabin boats for
day trips nearby.
- Helireef Whitsunday
- Helicopter flights to islands, some including picnic lunch, or
scenic flights. Whitsunday Airport (4 km past town)
Ten minute flight, Langford Reef, many others.
- Hunter Yacht Charters
- Abel Point.
- Departs Abel Point 3 nights 2 days. 52 foot
ex racing sloop. Cruising fun for 18-35's. 12 guests, 2 crew.
Web site is mostly flash based not standard HTML so I didn't view it.
- Major 3 month refit starting Sept 2005. Sail, snorkel, SCUBA. 82
foot teak decked sailing ketch. 6 cabins, air conditioned. 82 foot, up
to 16 guests and 3 crew, in five double cabins with en suites, twin
- Day trip to Blue Pearl Bay national park area on Hayman Island on
fast sailing catamaran, departs Abel Point at 9 a.m every day.
Snorkelling, sailing, SCUBA, boom netting, snacks, lunch, licenced bar.
(discount for Illusions plus Baby J trip with lunch). Formerly operated
by Nev Goddard, who left in April 2000. Now operated by Malcolm and
Linda Priday. www.illusions.net.au
Short note on our Illusions trip.
- Independent Endeavour
- 65 foot classic teak deck Nautor Swan ketch. Twelve guests and two
crew, in share accomodation. Tuesday and Friday for 3 days, two nights, BYO.
- Ishara Yacht Charters
- 50 foot yacht with skipper and crew, snorkelling, fishing,
- Island Air taxis
- Shute Harbour to Hamilton Island about $50, to Lindeman Island $60,
to Mackay $105. Aircraft charters. 15 minute local scenic flight,
island scenic flight for 30 minutes, one hour reef scenic flight
- 46 foot sailing catamaran departs Abel Point 3 p.m. Monday, Wednesday, Friday, returns 2 p.m. 2 days 2 nights. Spend nights ashore in shared accomodation at Long Island resort. Sail, snorkel, SCUBA, boomnetting, great cheap fun for the young at heart. Operated by See Whitsunday
- Motor day trip on inflatable, similar to Azzurra. 9:30 a.m. Shute Harbour, returns 3:45
p.m. cruise, up to 30 knots, lunch on Whitehaven Beach, snorkel, dive at
Luncheon Bay or Maureens Cove. Owner Bernard Heimann.
- 12 person motor fishing charter per day, departing Abel Point
at 9:15 a.m., returning around 6 p.m. Includes rods and tackle,
bait, catch cleaned and refrigerated, fishing clinics, trolling,
- 60 foot cutter rigged ketch owned by Geoff Brenton and Lee Whitley sails from Abel
Point with 12 passengers a.m. Tues and Fri 3 day 2 night trip. Sail,
snorkel, SCUBA, out reef trips. All food supplied, licenced bar no BYO.
Aussie Sailing Adventures
- 53 foot motor launch, does Hill Inlet and lookout walk, Whitehaven
Beach, and Cataran Bay on Boulder island for snorkelling. Captain Tim
Davies, crew Tim Nolan, hostess Imogen Ridley (April 2003). Abel Point
around 8, back around 4. Aussie Adventure Sailing
- Lady Catherine Charters
- PO Box 311, Airlie Beach
- Lindeman Pacific Whitehaven Xpress
- One day motor cruise, on 15m fibreglass mono hull, departs 9 a.m.
from Abel Point for Whitehaven Beach, past Daydream Island, South Molle
and Hamilton. Swim and snorkel for three hours at Whitehaven, time to
visit Hill Inlet lookout (take your camera) and BBQ lunch on the beach,
one hour snorkel at Haslewood Reef. BBQ lunch, afternoon cheese
platter, around $70 Family owner operators Terry, Jill and Dan McNally.
Tenth year of operation. The best Whitehaven trip I've done.
- Nineteen metre (50 foot) Beneteau ketch in traditional teak. Three day and three night cruises with only twelve guests. Three double air conditioned cabins. Suit couples. Departs Saturday and Wednesday 3 p.m. usually. Sounds like a luxury trip, sailing in style.
- Ex ocean racing yacht for 3 days and 2 nights, or 6 day 5 night
trips. Sailing and snorkelling.
- The 43 foot Lexcen yacht takes eight passengers around the
Whitsunday islands and fringing reefs for sailing and snorkelling. SCUBA
diving arranged upon request when booking. Three days and two
- Motor day trip, snorkelling or diving, departs Abel Point at 8:45 a.m. Whitehaven Beach and Mantaray Bay.
- Traditional 60 foot lugger departs Fri 10 a.m. returns Sun 4 p.m.
10 persons maximum. Heads NNW away from regular tourist islands.
Sailing, visiting two small coastal resorts.
Heritage Cruises for mid week private charters.
- Marlin Blue
- Deep sea and game fishing with Captain Ken Bryant on 40 foot, to
Bait Reef. Gamefishing charters.
- 85' IOR maxi yacht, departs 9 a.m. Thur and Sat for 3 day 2 night
cruise. 20 guests, 4 crew. BYO. Sailing adventure.
- 12 metre catamaran sails from Abel Point 9 a.m. Tues and Sat for 3
day 2 night trip. 5 cabins, 12 guests plus 2 crew. Sailaway
- Sunset Charters 54 foot timber carvel motor cruiser fishing day trip
departs Shute Harbour 10 a.m. daily, returns 6 p.m. Handlines and bait
supplied. Morning, afternoon tea, fishermans lunch, licensed bar (no
BYO), courtesy coach, trolling, cleaning and filleting.
- Sorry, Nari no longer seems to be in the area. 48 foot day sailing
and diving trip for maximum of 25 guests to Hook island or Blue Pearl
- Next Sail
- Daily departures on Next sailing adventures for 18-35 year olds
on 15 metre cruising yachts carrying up to a dozen guests.
No fixed itinerary. Probably obsolete.
- New luxury 90 foot catamaran cruising at 14 knots, carrying 30
passengers and 8 crew in 3 double, 2 triples, 2 quads and 5 twin cabins.
Leaves on Tuesday and Friday evening for three day cruise, including
Elizabeth Reef and Stucco Reef. Oceania specialises in PADI training
and serious SCUBA diving fun.
- Ocean Rafting
- Heavy duty inflatable with monster engines takes you up to 65 km/hour
to either aboriginal caves at Nara Inlet, Longford Reef beach, and
snorkel at Blue Pearl Bay or Mantaray Bay. Other trip is a rainforest
walk at Cid Harbour, Whitehaven Beach, and snorkel at Border Island.
Courtesy bus available. Buffet lunch is extra,
Marine Park Fees $5 extra. Three craft, Jammin, Wild Thing, and Thriller. As with all
high speed craft, I suggest take your seasick pills before you board,
and don't take anyone prone to motion sickness, as it can be a bumpy and
wet ride. Great fun for the young, I hear.
- No details yet
- Out of the Blue
- No details yet
- Outrigger Whitsunday
- The local paddle power club. A cheap way to have fun on the water.
A half dozen 42 foot Hawaiian style outrigger canoes, each holding six
paddlers. The club welcomes
new members or social paddlers. All you have to do is show up. Paddles
various afternoons, and on Sunday morning. In summer, some go paddling
around dawn. No age limits - paddlers as young as 9 attend regularly,
while some are in 50s, 60, and even older.
- Pacific Star
- 65 foot catamaran with seven private air conditioned cabins with
ensuites. Fully equipped for diving with two compressors. Three day
and three night trips.Ozsail
Read my report on a Pacific Star
trip a fair while ago..
- Three day two night sailing trips depart Thursday and Sunday.
- Prosail Whitsunday
- Operates many boats, individually listed if I know details. Freecall 1800 810 116
- Providence V
- Three day two night sailing and snorkelling trips aboard a gaff
rigged topsail schooner built in 1988 as a replica of the original
America's Cup Gloucester Schooners.
- Queensland Yacht Charters
- Bareboat yacht and motor, Abel Point.
- Quick Fish
- Half day fishing trip with all bait and tackle supplied, on 33 foot
boat with toilet. Pick up from resorts. Departs 8:30 return noon.
- 80 foot sloop, three time Sydney Hobart winner, does day sailing
snorkelling and diving trips depart 8:45 a.m. Shute Harbour.
Whitehaven Beach or Blue Pearl Bay cruise.
- Ragamuffin II
- 55 foot racing yacht takes a maximum of 12 people on 3 day 2 night
sailing and snorkelling cruises departing 9:30 Tues and Sat. Owner
skipper Ian "Splash" Shalders. (07) 4946 7344 Also charters.
- Reef Escape
- Two day island cruise, Mantaray Bay dive, Nara Inlet aboriginal
caves, overnight camping ashore (gear hire available), Hill Inlet and
Whitehaven Beach. Abel Point, Monday, Wed, Friday.
- Fast purpose built 24 metre $1.3 million monohull jet boat with 660
horsepower triple jet propulsion, boat built by Newcastle Marine. Buffet
lunch, refreshment bar, free snorkelling tuition, SCUBA available and
looks suitable to serious divers in a hurry. Courtesy coach. Travels to
Bait Reef (55km NE of Airlie) and outer reef. Could be rough in heavy
swell, but it gets you to the outer reef. Owners Mike Daley and
Ken Gilbert. Primary skipper is Peter Frazer. Replaces Whitsunday
- Large two pontoon platform for up to 600 people at beautiful Hardy
Reef, includes 50 person underwater viewing chamber, plus
semi-submersible with glass viewing ports. Semi submerged shaded dive
platform and safe areas for snorkel beginners. Reef talk, and short
reef tour to get you started. Dive instruction and SCUBA hire (optional
extra, best booked before leaving). Day trip, with up to four hours on
the reef, around A$145. Snorkelling equipment, buffet lunch, morning
and afternoon teas included. Optional ten minute helicopter flight also
available (magic views).
- Rogue 77 foot
- No details yet
- Rogue II
- 55 foot Italian built racing ketch, departs around midday Mon, Wed
and Friday on three day two night sailing, snorkelling and diving trips.
- 23m air conditioned schooner does 3 day 3 night snorkelling or dive
trip, departing Sun and Thurs at 7 p.m. Reef Dive?
- Ron of Argyll
- Classic 60 foot teak and oak gaff rigged ketch, recently restored,
12 passengers. Sailing, snorkelling, two day two night cruises.
- Sail Whitsunday
- Bareboat yachts, motor and catamaran, 28 to 47 feet, Abel Point,
- Salty Dog Sea Kayaking
- Salty Dog Sea Kayaking now offers a full range of sea kayaking activities
in the Whitsunday Islands from 1/2 day excursions to fully guided and
provisioned 6-day expeditions, camping out under the stars on tropical
islands. Salty Dog also has an extensive range of single & double sea
kayaks available for hire/rental.
- Schooner Friendship
- Eight passengers in four cabins. 54 foot purpose built wooden
vessel, with a draft of 7 foot and a 13 foot beam. Formerly owned by
Gary "Captain Friendly" Sproule, retired Naval Commander and daughter
Margot, and now owned by Barry and Carol Gibson. Traditional wooden
- Sea Kayaking Whitsundays
- Our tours will take you paddling in a pristine wilderness of 74
tropical islands protected by the Great Barrier Reef of Queensland
Australia in safe stable sea kayaks. Our base on Hamilton Island is in
the heart of the Whitsundays and closer to the best attractions and
destinations. Colin Bartley
- 50 foot Beneteau yacht (Captain Leslie Alexander, hostess Jennifer
Ryan, chef Alain Brand)
- Abel Point. Monday
and Thursday, certified divers only. 3 days, 3 night, 8 day dives, 2 night
dives, air conditioned, dive deck, two dive instructors.
- 80 foot ocean maxi, departs 9:30 a.m. Sat and Tues from Abel
Point. 3 days 2 nights. Sailing, snorkelling, hire. 20 guests, 3 crew.
- Solway Lass
- Two-masted, top-sail 127 foot tallship, this 1902 steel vessel was
formerly a coastal trader and a floating restaurant in Sydney. Joins
Southern Cross Sailing Adventures (SCSA) fleet at Shute Harbour, and
will be sailing three day, three night trips, and some six day trips.
Offers 11 air conditioned cabins for 32 guests plus a large bar. Guests
are generally ages 21-35 with four to six 45+ each trip. I keep hearing
good things about it, and it looks a real treat under sail. Expect pirates.
Departs Abel Point 7:30 p.m. Saturday and Tuesday.
- Southern Cross
- 68 foot America's Cup challenger, departs 9:30 a.m. Wed and Sun from
Abel Point. 3 days 2 nights. Sailing, snorkelling, hire. 14 guests, 2 crew.
- Sails from Abel Point 9 a.m. Mon and Thurs for 3 days 2 nights.
Sailing, snorkelling. Takes ten guests. Morry and Dee Billings owners.
- Stella Maris
- 67 foot 18 passenger four crew diving vessel for open water and
advanced courses at the outer reef. Departs Tuesday and Friday evening.
Run by K L Marine
- 60 foot timber ketch, 12 passengers, 3 days 2 nights, departs
Abel Point 9:30 a.m. Thurs and Sun. Sailing and snorkelling.
- Tallarook One
- 87 foot schooner (no details known).
- Tallarook Two
- 75 foot, 7 private cabins, 3 toilets, 2 showers. Sail, dive and
snorkel, night and day snorkelling, introductory dive.
3 days and 2 nights, departs Thur and Sun 9:30 a.m. Inspect boat
on Wed if desired. Owner skipper is NAUI certified diving instructor.
- Tallarook Five
- See shop in The Esplanade. Vessel destroyed by fire at Hook Island
on Friday 24 August 2001, passengers all escaped.
- The Card
- 83 foot Whitbread around the World yacht designed by Bruce Farr,
departs Abel Point Fri and Mon at 9:30 a.m. 3 days 2 nights. Sailing
and snorkelling. Abel Point. 3 days 2 nights. Ran in 1998 Sydney Hobart
race under the name "Nokia". Twenty guests, 3 crew.
- Tocardo II
- Operated by owner Barry Wilson. Tocardo II is a 11.79 metre Ben Lexcen design sailing boat, specifically designed for chartering in the Whitsundays. She offers comfortable accommodation for 10 passengers in four cabins, one private double, and two toilets. Around $360 for a three day two night trip. Departures: Monday and Thursday, 9.30am, from Abel Point Marina.
- Tropic Princes
- 21m air conditioned catamaran does 3 day 3 night snorkelling or dive
trip, departing Mon and Fri at 7 p.m. Snorkel, dive. Reef Dive
specialise in diver training.
- High speed motor catamaran day trips 8:30 a.m. daily except Monday.
Whitehaven, Hook Reef on the outer reef, Hook Island,
SCUBA Tropical Charters
- Sail on catamaran for sail and snorkel holiday. SCUBA. Departs
Abel Point Mon Wed and Sat.
- Three island cruise one day cruise on catamaran Voyager. Whitehaven
Beach, Hook Island underwater observatory and resort. South Molle island.
- Waltzing Matilda
- 60 foot ketch operated by Terry Isherwood and Jeff Nicholson taking
13 passengers sails from Abel Point 9:30 a.m. Wed and Sun 3 days 2
nights. 14 guests. Sailing and snorkelling.
- Whitsunday Adventure Flying
- Dave Bastick takes you on a scenic flight in his 1960's Tiger Moth (no longer available).
- Whitsunday Escape
- Bareboat charter houseboats, yachts, motor.
- Whitsunday Maritime Training Centre
- Recreational and commercial training, as a joint venture between
Whitsunday Sailing Club and Barrier Reef Institute of TAFE.
- Whitsunday Stargazer
- 10 passengers
- Whitsunday Private Yacht Charters
- Bareboat, Abel Point
- Whitsunday Rent-A-Yacht
- Bareboat charter yachts, catamaran, motor, Private Jetty, Shute Harbour,
- Whitsunday Sailing Charters
- Whitsunday Watersports
- jet skis catamarans
- Yellow Sub
- One hour high speed ride from Shute Harbour, departing 9 a.m. to
Bali Hai Island. Yellow sub is a bottom viewing semi submergable.
Snorkel. Also cruises to islands.
Noted in December 2005. New Prosail owners Adrian Platt of OzSail and and Mal Robertson of of Aussie Adventure Sailing wxpwxt to have linked marketing, reservations and manifesting under the name Oz Adventure Sailing.
There is a small per day Environmental Management Charge levied on
all visitors to the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park, and I understand
these fees are applied to improving the marine park. This government
fee applies to almost all trips. The charge will be collected on board.
It is not usually included in the quoted fees. There is also on some trips a harbour fee. Rising fuel costs may result in addition fuel levy.
Weather and tidal conditions may result in changed destinations on
any cruise. Some cruises have licenced bar on board, some provide wine
with dinner, some suggest even bringing your own soft drinks as well as
your own alcohol. Ask when you book.
On some day trips, lunch may be extra. Check when booking, as many
variations in prices are reduced when all costs are taken into account.
Some boats may be chartered, often either with or without a skipper
(depends upon your own experience). Check the listings above that
include the word charter.
Some high powered craft can provide a very rough ride. As with all
high speed craft, I suggest take your seasick pills before you board,
and don't take anyone prone to motion sickness, as it can be a bumpy and
wet ride, especially on the various inflatable craft. If any pamphlet
includes the word exhilarating or boasts about how large the
engines are, ask about the comfort level of the ride (younger tourists
often love these trips, older ones may not be so sure).
The outer reef is 60 kilometre and more offshore, so if you want a
one day trip to the actual Great Barrier Reef, then you need a fast boat.
Many three day sailing cruises give you a more pleasant ride out. Many
cruises visit the Whitsunday islands, not the Great Barrier Reef.
There are no resorts here on any coral island or on the Great Barrier
Reef, however every island in the Whitsundays has coral reefs (as indeed
does the coast off Airlie Beach). Most areas visited are Marine
National Park, and the coral is excellent and the fish abundant and very
tropical in appearance. You usually get better visibility underwater
at the outer reef, so serious divers may prefer the longer trip.
Phone numbers listed are from within Australia. From outside
Australia, try the Australian code +61 followed by state code 7, and
then the 8 digit number. 1800 numbers are free call within Australia
but probably don't work from outside Australia.
To locate Australian phone numbers, you can use the Telstra White
Pages (all numbers) and Yellow Pages (Business) web pages.
What to bring
Small soft bag
Hat, sunglasses, sunscreens,
toiletries, insect repellent
Swimwear and beach towel
Change of clothes
Jacket for evening
(Waterproof) camera and film
Favourite drinks, no glass bottles (ask each tour)
What not to bring
I hope you have enjoyed www.ericlindsay.com.
If you have corrections
Suitcases or backpacks
Large bags, unnecessary clothes and gear
Drinks in glass bottles